Falling Spring Creek Bridge
Photo taken by Jodi Christman 12/19/10
BH Photo #190600
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The bridge carries a 2 lane street and sidewalks over a stream in downtown Chambersburg. The bridge is in the Chambersburg Historic District with a period of significance from 1775 to 1930. The nomination rates contributing and noncontributing buildings in the district but does not address the bridges. The downtown is noteworthy for maintaining its 19th- and early-20th century appearance. Adjacent to the bridge is a log house.
The 2-span, 64'-long, encased steel stringer bridge built in 1918 was not rated in the Chambersburg Historic District nomination but based on its age and integrity of design, the bridge is recommended as a contributing resource. The bridge is finished with standard paneled concrete parapets and is supported on concrete abutments and pier. The bridge is a typical example of the encased steel stringer bridge technology, the bridge is not individually distinguished but significant for its contribution to the historic setting.
- Stringer bridge over Falling Spring Creek on West King Street
- Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1918
Length of largest span: 22.0 ft.
Total length: 64.0 ft.
Deck width: 37.7 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.93917, -77.66194 (decimal degrees)
39°56'21" N, 77°39'43" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/272561/4424398 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 28 7401 4000 3130 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 17742 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 47336 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of May 2016)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 68.2 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- April 27, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added category "Concrete inset railing"
- January 6, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description
- December 19, 2010: Added by Jodi Christman