Western Maryland Railway Bridge
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The bridge carries a 2 lane road over 2 tracks of the CSXT Railroad. The setting is rural with active farms and scattered 20th-century residences. The rail line is the former Hagerstown MD-Shippensburg PA branch of the Western Maryland Railway, established in the early 1880s. The setting does not have historic district potential.
The skewed, 1-span, 77'-long, thru girder bridge has concrete deck, concrete encased floorbeams, and horizontally scored concrete abutments with wingwalls. The bridge was built in 1937 by the state highway department as a New Deal-era grade crossing elimination project. The bridge is a representative example of the thru girder bridge type in widespread use for both highways and railroads from the 1870s to the 1950s. This example is not distinguished by its technology, setting or contexts. It is not historically significant for its association with the Western Maryland Railway.
- Girder bridge over CSX; Western Maryland Railroad on Pa 316; Sr 0316
- Franklin County, Pennsylvania
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1937
Length of largest span: 67.9 ft.
Total length: 77.1 ft.
Deck width: 24.0 ft.
- Also called
- CSX RR Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.88806, -77.63750 (decimal degrees)
39°53'17" N, 77°38'15" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/274482/4418662 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2016)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 28 0316 0290 1229 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 17414 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 50823 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of February 2016)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 87.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- October 23, 2017: Updated by Royce and Bobette Haley: Status, date
- January 5, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description
- Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com
- Royce and Bobette Haley - roycehaley111 [at] yahoo [dot] com