Photo taken by Jodi Christman 11/13/11
BH Photo #220444
The bridge is dated 1936 yet the record says 1937.
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The bridge carries a 3 lane road with a sidewalk over a single railroad track in an area of undistinguished post-World War II strip commercial development. The area does not have historic district potential. The rail line was built in the 1880s by the Reading Railroad and served to transfer rail traffic between the Reading's terminus in Shippensburg and the Western Maryland Railway. The bridge was built in 1937 by the state highway department as a replacement structure of a bridge previously built by the Reading Co.
The skewed, single span, 57'-long, encased steel stringer bridge built in 1937 has concrete balustrades, concrete deck, and horizontally scored concrete abutments and wingwalls. Concrete encasement was favored in the state because it provided protection for the steel and eliminated the need to periodically paint the beams. A representative example of one of the most common, mid-20th century bridge types and designs in the state, it has no innovative or distinguishing details.
- Stringer bridge carrying US 11; Sr 0011 (Rt. 11) over CSXT (former Reading Railroad)
- Shippensburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1937 replaced original bridge built by Reading Company
- - John H. Wickersham
- PennDOT Bridge Division
- - Reading Railroad (RDG)
Length of largest span: 58.1 ft.
Total length: 59.1 ft.
Deck width: 44.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.04361, -77.53333 (decimal degrees)
40°02'37" N, 77°31'60" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/283880/4435672 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2017)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 28 0011 0550 0783 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 17293 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 50267 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of November 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 50 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 5, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Changed name, changed build date, added builder, added description
- December 11, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Corrected historical RR line
- November 20, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Corrected date