West King Street Bridge
Photo taken by Jodi Christman 12/19/10
BH Photo #190587
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The bridge carries a 2 lane street and 2 sidewalks over a stream in downtown Chambersburg. The bridge is in the Chambersburg Historic District (listed 8/28/82), which uses the right-of-way of the Western Maryland Railway on the west bank of Conococheague Creek as its western boundary. The railroad, which crosses West King Street at grade, is located immediately west of the bridge, thus placing the bridge entirely within the district's boundaries. The district focuses on Chambersburg's 18th- and 19th-century architecture and streetscapes. The bridge is in a neighborhood of late-19th-century residences.
The 1 span, 59'-long, stone arch bridge was built in 1828. The bridge has dressed voussoirs, and ashlar spandrel walls. At an unknown date, concrete slab sidewalks with pipe railings and chain link fencing were cantilevered from the bridge. The bridge is in the Chambersburg Historic District, and was built during the district's 1700 to 1932 period of significance. Although the handsome arch bridge was not rated in the district nomination, it is recommended a contributing resource.
- Stone arch bridge over Conococheague Creek on West King Street in Chambersburg
- Franklin County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1828; rehabilitated 1907 (sidewalk extended to widen the bridge)
- - Silas Harry
- Stone arch
Span length: 59.1 ft.
Total length: 59.1 ft.
Deck width: 32.5 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.93932, -77.66274 (decimal degrees)
39°56'22" N, 77°39'46" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/272493/4424418 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2009)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 28 7401 4000 3131 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 17743 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30952 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of April 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 78.6 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- February 16, 2021: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- February 4, 2017: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- January 6, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added another description note
- December 26, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description note
- December 19, 2010: New photo from Jodi Christman