Photo taken by Jodi Christman April 10, 2011
BH Photo #197510
According to "Old Bridges of Franklin County" by Frederick Fleming Unger, this bridge is 178 feet long, 18 feet wide. He states the road was built in 1786, in 1793 Legislature appropriated $300 to erect bridges over the Conococheague and Conodoguinet Creeks, and rebuilt the bridge in September, 1910.
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
'The 3-span, 100'-long, closed spandrel stone arch bridge built between 1793 and 1824 has rubble masonry spandrel walls and parapets. It is supported on stone abutments and piers with stone buttresses. The bridge was strengthened in 1910 by the addition of concrete liners to the arch intrados. Metal tie rods were added to reinforce the spandrel walls. The bridge is a historically and technologically significant example of the traditional stone arch bridge type based on its date of construction and state of completeness. The repairs from 1910, such as the concrete liners and tie rods, have not significantly affected the bridge's appearance or overall integrity of original design or workmanship. It still functions as a stone arch. Franklin County has a fine collection of early 19th century stone arch bridges. The survey has identified at least 12 pre-1860 stone arch highway bridges in the county; 5 are listed in the National Register. The Fannettsburg Road bridge is the oldest documented surviving example.
- Stone arch bridge over West Branch Conococheague Creek on PA 4004 (Fannettsburg Road)
- Franklin County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built ca. 1793-1824; rehabilitated 1910
- - W. H. Murphy & Sons (Contractor)
- W.H. Foreman (Engineer)
- Stone arch
Length of largest span: 36.1 ft.
Total length: 100.1 ft.
Deck width: 18.4 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- West Branch Conococheague Creek Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.06105, -77.81661 (decimal degrees)
40°03'40" N, 77°48'60" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/259772/4438335 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2017)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 28 4004 0070 1075 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 17570 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30950 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of April 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 77.8 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- April 17, 2012: Photo imported by Jodi Christman
- December 26, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description and corrected date span
- August 20, 2011: New photos from Jodi Christman
- July 3, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added details
- April 15, 2011: New photos from Jodi Christman
- April 10, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Tweaked GPS