No votes cast

Lindbergh Bridge


View Of Southwest Facing Elevation. Looking East

Photo taken by Christopher Ransom for the Historic American Engineering Record

View photos at Library of Congress

BH Photo #311858


Street View 


The Lindbergh Bridge is a three span reinforced concrete bridge which was designed by the Delaware County Department of Public Works. With a main span of 259'4", it was the largest reinforced concrete arch bridge designed and built by the county. The bridge is a fine example of the twin ribbed, open spandrel, arcaded parapet structures which were being constructed during the early part of the 20th Century. The concrete lamp posts with colonial fittings were a distinctive embellishment on the bridge. The bridge was named in commemoration of Colonel Charles A. Lindbergh who, one year earlier, had completed the first solo flight of the Atlantic Ocean. At the time of consideration, adulation for Colonel Lindbergh had swept across America.

-- Historic American Engineering Record


Open-spandrel arch bridge over Darby Creek on Marple Avenue in Clifton Heights
Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Open to traffic
Built 1927-28
- Carl Camp of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Open-spandrel arch
Length of largest span: 256.9 ft.
Total length: 394.0 ft.
Deck width: 29.9 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
Approximate latitude, longitude
+39.93333, -75.29000   (decimal degrees)
39°55'60" N, 75°17'24" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/475221/4420398 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Average daily traffic (as of 2009)
Inventory numbers
PA 23 7023 0390 0072 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 15410 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30864 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection report (as of December 2015)
Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 80.8 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com

Update Log 

  • January 1, 2017: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
  • January 3, 2015: HAER photos posted by Dave King