Spring Creek Bridge
Hershey Park monorail above
Photo taken by Jodi Christman 10/31/2010
BH Photo #184158
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The bridge carries a 2 lane street and sidewalks over a stream in the midst of the Hershey amusement park. The monorail passes overhead. At one quadrant is an early 19th century vernacular stone house that has been converted to offices. Amusement park rides and maintenance buildings are at the other quadrants. The setting does not have the cohesiveness or integrity of a historic district.
The 2-span, 71'-long T beam bridge built in 1921 by the county has paneled haunched beams and paneled parapets with flared wingwalls. Concrete light standards are at the corners but the luminaires have been removed. The bridge is supported on concrete abutments and piers. T beam bridges were built in great numbers by the state highway department and counties from the 1910s to the 1950s. Over 2,300 pre-1957 examples have been identified making them one of the most common bridge types in Pennsylvania. This example, although architectonic, has no features or details that are uncommon or significant. It is not historically or technologically distinguished by its setting or context.
- Concrete tee beam bridge over Spring Creek on Pa 743; Sr 0743
- Dauphin County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1921
- - Dauphin County
- Concrete tee beam
Length of largest span: 30.8 ft.
Total length: 70.9 ft.
Deck width: 20.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.28833, -76.65250 (decimal degrees)
40°17'18" N, 76°39'09" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/359534/4461070 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2016)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 22 0743 0170 0901 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 14415 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 46749 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of August 2016)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 42.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 7, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builder and description
- October 31, 2010: Added by Jodi Christman