Paxton Street Overpass
Photo taken by Royce and Bobette Haley in December 2017
BH Photo #415007
FROM PA HISTORIC BRIDGE DATA:
The bridge carries a 4 lane road with sidewalks over 4 electrified tracks of Amtrak and Conrail in an area of early through late 20th century commercial and light industrial development. At the southwest quadrant is an electric substation. The bridge spans over the former Pennsylvania RR Main Line, established in 1846. It is a historically and technologically significant trunk line, and it has been determined eligible by PHMC (9/14/93).
The skewed, two-span, 177'-long, steel thru girder bridge built in 1929 has encased floorbeams and a concrete slab deck. The bridge is supported on horizontally scored concrete abutments and wingwalls. Two horizontally scored, tapered, concrete columns support the bridge near midspan. Sidewalks with corrugated sheet-metal covered railings are cantilevered from both sides. Integral with the north wingwalls are two concrete pedestals supporting a Warren truss utility bridge carrying a water main over the tracks. The bridge is a very common 19th and 20th century bridge type with no unusual or distinctive features. It is not individually distinguished but it is historically significant in association with the PHMC-determined eligible Pennsylvania RR Main Line. The bridge was designed by the PRR as a grade crossing elimination.
- Girder bridge over Amtrak (formerly PRR) on Sr 3009
- Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1929
- - American Bridge Co. of New York
- - Amtrak (AMTK)
- Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR)
Length of largest span: 112.9 ft.
Total length: 176.8 ft.
Deck width: 51.8 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.25562, -76.87348 (decimal degrees)
40°15'20" N, 76°52'25" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/340673/4457812 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Harrisburg East
- Average daily traffic (as of 2017)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 22 3009 0010 1034 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 14516 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 50852 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of October 2017)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 51 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- December 26, 2017: New photos from Royce and Bobette Haley
- January 7, 2012: Added by Jodi Christman
- Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com
- Royce and Bobette Haley - roycehaley111 [at] yahoo [dot] com