Mulberry Street Ramp Bridge
Looking west (and a little to the north)
Ramp enters/exits onto Cameron St.
Photo taken by Jodi Christman Nov. 11, 2010
BH Photo #185747
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The bridge carries a 2 lane on/off ramp of the Mulberry Street viaduct (22 3012 0080 0233) over a 2-lane city street and creek in an area of late 19th and early 20th century industrial development east of downtown Harrisburg. The ramp serves to connect the viaduct to Cameron Street (SR 230). The ramp is located on the north side of the main viaduct. South of the ramp is a parking lot and an early 20th century industrial building. The setting does not have the cohesiveness or integrity of a historic district.
The 5 span, 584'-long, four-ribbed, closed spandrel arch bridge is an integral part of the larger Mulberry Street viaduct, constructed from 1907 to 1909. The ramp's 5 arch spans are nearly identical to the viaduct's 20 main spans. The distinctive piers are ornamented in the Classical style with pilasters and entablature. In 1957, the deck was replaced with removal of the original three-rail high concrete railings and replacement with tubular metal railings.The viaduct including ramp is historically and technologically noteworthy as an early and innovative application of its type/design. It ranks as one of the two oldest of nine ribbed, closed spandrel arch bridges identified in the survey. The viaduct is considered the first major reinforced concrete highway bridge in Harrisburg and was built to replace a previous steel truss viaduct over the Pennsylvania RR's yard.
- Concrete arch bridge over Paxton Creek on Mulberry Street Ramp in Harrisburg
- Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1907-09; rehabilitated 1957
- - James M. Fuertes
- McCormick & Co.
- Ribbed closed-spandrel arch
Length of largest span: 94.2 ft.
Total length: 584.0 ft.
Deck width: 22.3 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.26176, -76.87308 (decimal degrees)
40°15'42" N, 76°52'23" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/340722/4458493 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Harrisburg East
- Average daily traffic (as of 2017)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 22 7301 4000 4021 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 14743 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30837 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of September 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 80.8 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- December 24, 2017: New photos from Royce and Bobette Haley
- January 17, 2017: New photos from Dana and Kay Klein
- January 7, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builders and description
- November 13, 2010: New photos from Jodi Christman
- November 12, 2010: New photo from Jodi Christman