Hemlock Street Bridge
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The bridge carries a dead end 2 lane road over a channelized stream in an area of early to late 20th century commercial and light industrial development. At the west end is a deck girder bridge carrying a Conrail branch over Hemlock Street. To the north I-81 is carried over several empty lots on a viaduct. At the southeast quadrant is a parking lot used by a trucking company. The setting does not have the cohesiveness or integrity of a historic district.
The 1-span, 27'-long reinforced concrete deck arch bridge is supported on concrete abutments with wingwalls. The original paneled parapets remain on the wingwalls but have been lost from over the arch span, which now has plain concrete parapets with concrete coping (ca. 1960). The finish and dimensions of the replacement parapets are not the same as the original design. According to a plaque, the bridge was built in 1908 by the Ferro Concrete Co. of Harrisburg. From 1907 to about 1911, the company was an agent for patented Luten arch bridges. The bridge is one of two identified pre-1911 Ferro Concrete-built arch bridges in the county. BMS# 22 7204 0563 3010 (1910) is a complete example with original parapets typical of Luten's patented arch bridges.
- Concrete arch bridge over Paxton Creek on Hemlock Street in Harrisburg
- Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1908 by the Ferro Concrete Co.; rehabilitated ca. 1960
- - Ferro Concrete Co. of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
- Closed-spandrel arch
Span length: 26.9 ft.
Total length: 26.9 ft.
Deck width: 32.2 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.25201, -76.86840 (decimal degrees)
40°15'07" N, 76°52'06" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/341097/4457402 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Harrisburg East
- Inventory numbers
- PA 22 7301 4000 4007 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 14732 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30831 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of September 2015)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 41 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 7, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builder