Wiconisco Creek Bridge
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The bridge carries a 2 lane road and a sidewalk over a stream on the northeast side of Lykens. North of the bridge are vacant lots. At the southeastern quadrant is a two-story cinderblock factory (ca. 1950), and at the southwestern quadrant are the concrete abutment and piers of a former railroad bridge. Approximately 300' to the south is a residential area of late 19th and early 20th century residences with alterations (replacement siding, windows, additions). The setting does not have the cohesiveness or integrity of a historic district.
The single span, 70'-long, reinforced concrete deck arch bridge built in 1915 has paneled parapets. The end posts have metal light standards but the luminaires have been lost. A steel stringer sidewalk with a concrete deck and a chain link fence has been added to the upstream side (ca. 1950). The county-built bridge has no unusual or noteworthy features, and it is not an early or distinguished example of its type/design. Reinforced concrete arch bridges are common with more than 200 identified pre-1916 examples in the state. The bridge is not located in a potential historic district. It is not historically or technologically significant for its setting or context.
- Lost concrete arch bridge over Wiconisco Creek on Arch Street
- Dauphin County, Pennsylvania
- Replaced by new bridge
- Built 1915; reconstructed 1950CA; replaced 1998
- - C. M. Hershey (Country Engineer)
- Closed-spandrel arch reinforced concrete
Length of largest span: 69.9 ft.
Total length: 82.0 ft.
Deck width: 23.3 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.56833, -76.69667 (decimal degrees)
40°34'06" N, 76°41'48" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/356377/4492222 (zone/easting/northing)
- USGS topographic map
- Inventory numbers
- PA 22 7220 0707 3050 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 14723 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 41552 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 12/1991)
- Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Appraisal: Not deficient
Sufficiency rating: 74.5 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 1980)
- August 24, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Corrected builders
- January 7, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builder and description
- Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com
- Luke Harden - lukemh9 [at] gmail [dot] com