Swatara Creek Bridge
Photo taken by Jodi Christman
BH Photo #178496
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The 5-span, 313'-long reinforced concrete arch bridge built in 1910 has coursed ashlar brownstone spandrel walls with dentils. The stonework alternates between thin and thick courses of textured stone to give a handsome and distinctive appearance. It is supported on concrete piers and abutments. The railings have been replaced by W-beam guiderails (ca. 1985). Although the bridge has lost its railings, the arches and spandrel walls are unaltered and the bridge retains over all integrity of original design. The bridge is noteworthy in the local context for the use of Hummelstown brownstone, a material quarried nearby beginning in the early 19th century, and which by the late 19th century had gained a regional reputation as a fine quality building material. The reinforced concrete arch bridge technology was introduced in Pennsylvania during the first decade of the 20th century, and the 1910 deck arch bridge is among the early distinguished examples of its type/design in the region.
- Five-span concrete arch bridge over Swatara Creek on North Duke Street (TR 690) in Hummelstown
- Hummelstown, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Future prospects
- Current Section 106 Preferred Alternative is Demolition and Replacement of this historic bridge.
- Built 1910; rehabilitated ca. 1985
- Closed-spandrel arch
Length of largest span: 57.1 ft.
Total length: 313.0 ft.
Deck width: 17.7 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.27072, -76.71650 (decimal degrees)
40°16'15" N, 76°42'59" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/354056/4459218 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 22 7215 0690 3032 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 14702 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30846 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of June 2015)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Imminent Failure (1 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 20 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- June 8, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description
- March 19, 2012: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge is likely doomed.