Third Street Bridge
View from Fort Washington
Photo taken in 1910 so this could be BEFORE the girder bridge was installed. View from Fort Washington
"Pictorial History West Shore Area" Published by Cumberland County 250th Anniversary Committee
License: Released into public domain
BH Photo #255140
FROM PENNSYLVANIA BRIDGE DATA: "The 3 span, 169'-long thru girder overpass bridge with flanking deck girder approach spans has built-up girders, encased floorbeams, concrete deck, cantilevered sidewalks with pipe railings, concrete bents with crash walls, and concrete abutments. Built in 1911 by the Pennsylvania RR as a grade crossing improvement project, the bridge is a common type with no unusual or technologically distinguishing features. Thru girder bridges have been in use since the mid 19th century by railroads, and became a common highway bridge type in the state by the late 19th century. This 1911 example is not noteworthy. It is not historically significant in the context of the development of the PRR's Cumberland Valley branch line."
"The bridge carries a 2 lane street and sidewalks over a local street and 1 track of Conrail's Cumberland Valley Branch that connects Harrisburg and Chambersburg. The railroad right-of-way was first developed in 1837 by the Cumberland Valley RR to connect Harrisburg and Chambersburg. By the late 1850s, the line had been consolidated under the control of the Pennsylvania RR. The line was abandoned as a through route in 1983. The bridge is in a commercial and light industrial area in Lemoyne with buildings dating from the late 19th to the late 20th century. The setting does not have the cohesiveness or integrity of a historic district."
- Girder bridge over Norfolk Southern (former CVRR) on Sr 2035 (Third Street)
- Lemoyne, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1911, Replaced in 1999
Length of largest span: 95.1 ft.
Total length: 169.0 ft.
Deck width: 40.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.24597, -76.89343 (decimal degrees)
40°14'45" N, 76°53'36" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/338953/4456777 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- PA 21 2035 0050 1770 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
BH 50762 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 16, 2014: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description
- June 2, 2013: New photo from Jodi Christman
- January 1, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: updated status