Connodoguinet Creek Bridge
Trolley bridge over Connodoguinet
This would be looking north. The Susquehanna River would be to the right. West Fairview would be upper right.
"Pictorial History West Shore Area" Published by Cumberland County 250th Anniversary Committee
License: Released into public domain
BH Photo #255138
This bridge carried trolley and vehicular traffic across the wide Connodoguinet Creek. The allowed folks to the south (Lemoyne, New Cumberland) to visit north (Enola, Summerdale) and vise versa. The creek spills into the Susquehanna River which is east of the bridge. The bridge was south west of West Fairview. Now sits 11/15 a 2 lane highway each way.
Trolley ridership declined starting in 1924 due to automobiles being common and roads being paved. The company decided to convert lines to buses. The last trolley ran on April 9, 1938 between New Cumberland and Enola. Source: http://www.cattransit.com/about-cat/history-of-transit-in-th...
- Lost Through truss bridge over Connodoguinet Creek on Cumberland Valley Traction Co. Trolley
- West Fairview, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1900 ca
- - Cumberland Valley Traction Co. (CVT)
- Multiple span through truss
- Also called
- CVT - Connodoguinet Creek Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.27138, -76.91464 (decimal degrees)
40°16'17" N, 76°54'53" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/337210/4459637 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Harrisburg West
- Inventory number
- BH 56448 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- June 2, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Cumberland Valley Traction Co.", "Railroad", "Interurban"
- June 2, 2013: Added by Jodi Christman