standing on south side of creek
Photo taken by Jodi Christman
BH Photo #179119
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
'The one-span, 218'-long, pin-connected, Pennsylvania thru truss bridge is composed of built-up sections and eye bars. The bridge has built-up floorbeams with Z-plate floorbeam hangers. The open steel grid deck and stringers were placed ca. 1960. The bridge is supported on stone abutments with U-shaped wingwalls. The bridge was fabricated in 1896 by the Pittsburgh Bridge Co. and erected by their agents Nelson & Buchanan of Chambersburg. It is historically and technologically significant as one of the four oldest identified examples of Pennsylvania thru truss highway bridges, and one of only about 20 examples from 1890 to 1937 in the state. The Pennsylvania truss design, a variation of the Pratt truss with subdivided panels and polygonal upper chord, was developed in about 1875 by bridge engineers of the Pennsylvania RR. The design was used primarily for long-span railroad applications, but found some popularity for long-span (approx. 200') highway applications from about 1890 to 1910.
- Through truss bridge over Conodoguinet Creek on Creek Road (TR 427)
- Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1896; rehabilitated ca. 1960
- - Nelson & Buchanan Co. of Chambersburg & Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (erectors)
- Pittsburgh Bridge Co. of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (fabricators)
- Pennsylvania through truss
Total length: 217.9 ft.
Deck width: 15.8 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.22167, -77.25833 (decimal degrees)
40°13'18" N, 77°15'30" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/307845/4454806 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- PA 21 7204 0427 3616 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 14064 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30815 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 07/2009)
- Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 22.9 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2003)
- August 17, 2017: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- January 21, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Corrected builder.
- January 3, 2012: New Street View added by Jodi Christman
- December 26, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description note and builders
- September 25, 2010: New photos from Jodi Christman