Yellow Breeches Creek Bridge
Bridge Closed on Locust Point Road
Looking north to Park Palace Road. I'm standing upstream, creek right.(Rt. 74 is to my right)
Photo taken by Jodi Christman in March 2009
BH Photo #141395
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The 2 span, 117'-long, reinforced concrete arch bridge has paneled concrete parapets, paneled spandrel walls, and concrete abutments and pier. The arch rings, intrados, spandrel walls, and parapets have very deep spalls with exposed twisted reinforcing bars and significant loss of original material throughout. Built in 1911, the bridge is one of at least eight identified reinforced concrete arch highway bridges from 1909 to 1918 in Cumberland County, and one of over 270 pre-1920 examples statewide. Other more complete examples better represent the historical and technological significance of the early application of the reinforced concrete arch bridge technology in the county context.
- Concrete arch bridge over Yellow Breeches Creek on PA 1007
- Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
- Closed to all traffic
- Future prospects
- Slated for demolition and replacement. Lets September 3, 2015. Early Start for Demolition July 2016.
- Built 1911
- - Nelson-Merydith Co. of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
- Closed-spandrel arch, elliptical design
Length of largest span: 53.2 ft.
Total length: 117.1 ft.
Deck width: 13.5 ft.
- Also called
- Locust Point Road Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.14706, -77.04720 (decimal degrees)
40°08'49" N, 77°02'50" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/325620/4446088 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2014)
- Inventory numers
- PA 21 1007 0020 0626 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 13833 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30819 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of December 2013)
- Overall condition: Poor
Substructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: (N out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 13.5 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- February 9, 2017: New photo from Dave King
- September 23, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- August 10, 2015: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge is now doomed.
- December 26, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builder and description
- September 18, 2010: New photos from Jodi Christman
- June 14, 2009: New photos from Jodi Christman