Middle Spring Creek Bridge
9/18/10 - CU Plaque
Photo taken by Jodi Christman
BH Photo #177977
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The one-span, 47'-long, elliptical, reinforced concrete arch bridge has a slight vertical profile, and is finished with concrete balustrades. The bridge has concrete abutments with U-shaped wingwalls topped by paneled concrete parapets. Built in 1911, the bridge is a historically and technologically significant example of an early reinforced-concrete bridge constructed by the Ferro-Concrete Construction Co., one of several companies that worked to popularize reinforced-concrete construction in the United States in the 1900s and early 1910s. The bridge was not rated in the Shippensburg Historic District's nomination, but based on its date of construction and historical significance it is recommended as a contributing resource.
- Concrete arch bridge over Middle Spring Creek on US 11 in Shippensburg
- Shippensburg, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1911 by the Ferro Concrete Co.
- - Ferro Concrete Co. of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
- Closed-spandrel arch, elliptical design
Span length: 46.9 ft.
Total length: 46.9 ft.
Deck width: 74.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.04962, -77.52314 (decimal degrees)
40°02'59" N, 77°31'23" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/284769/4436315 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- PA 21 0011 0010 1523 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PA 21 0011 0010 1542 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 13557 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30816 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 01/2014)
- Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 86.6 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- March 7, 2017: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- April 20, 2012: Photo imported by Jodi Christman
- December 28, 2011: Updated by Clark Vance: Added NBI
- December 26, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description note
- November 28, 2010: New photo from Jodi Christman
- September 18, 2010: Updated by Jodi Christman: Fixed GPS coordinates