Zorger Road Thru Truss Bridge
Photo taken by Janis Ford
BH Photo #141590
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
"The bridge carries a 1 lane road over a stream in a rural area of active farms. TR 420 is a former railroad right of way converted to a vehicular roadway. The short line was a branch of the New York Central Railroad. It served primarily as a logging railroad, connecting to towns in southern Clearfield County, such as New Millport and Kerrmoor."
"The ca. 1880, single span, 180'-long, pin-connected double intersection Pratt (Whipple) thru truss bridge is supported on ashlar abutments. Designed to railroad specifications, the bridge consists of 10, 18'-long panels. It has eye bar diagonals that extend across two panels, lower chords eye bars, and built up upper chords and verticals. It is one of nine Whipple truss bridges identified by the survey, and one of two in Clearfield County (17 7222 0565 0005 is the other). The Whipple design was patented by American engineer Squire Whipple in 1847, and it was widely adopted by the railroad industry between 1865 and 1885. The bridge is historically and technologically significant as a complete and rare surviving example of the design."
- Through truss bridge over West Branch Susquehanna River on TR 421
- Clearfield County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- ca1880 as NY Central Railroad Bridge, rails converted to road in 1920
- - New York Central Railroad (NYC)
- pin-connected Double intersection (Whipple) through truss
Length of largest span: 172.9 ft.
Total length: 180.1 ft.
Deck width: 12.1 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 20.6 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.90972, -78.66694 (decimal degrees)
40°54'35" N, 78°40'01" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/696488/4531355 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 17 7217 0421 0005 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 11915 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30732 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of April 2015)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 23.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- May 23, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description and related details
- June 18, 2009: New photos from J.R. Manning