French Creek Bridge
From the Pennsylvania Historic Bridge Inventory:
The bridge carries a 2 lane road over a stream in a sparsely developed setting adjacent to Warwick County Park, a recreational greenspace with playground and nature trails. No buildings are adjacent to the bridge. The road serves as a park access road, but is on an older right-of-way in existence before the park.
The 3 span, 54'-long bridge built in 1915 consists of an approximately 44'-long steel thru girder span with rolled floorbeams and open steel grid deck over the stream flanked by 5'-long stone arch overflow spans. The bridge is supported on a stone substructure. Fieldstone wingwalls with parapets enclose the approach roadways. Incorporated with the wingwalls are the short stone arch overflow spans. Thru girder bridges are a very common bridge type in widespread use from the late 19th century through the mid 20th century. This example has no technologically unusual or noteworthy features, and incorporates details, such as the stone arch overflow spans and wingwalls, that are very typical of bridges designed by Chester County Engineer Nathan R. Rambo from 1899 to 1922. The bridge is not significant in the state context, and earlier prototypical examples have been chosen to represent the bridge type's significance in the county context. The bridge is not historically significant in association with its setting.
Engineer: NATHAN R. RAMBO, CO ENG
Contractor: MORRIS KNAUER
- Pony plate girder bridge over French Creek on County Park Road
- Chester County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1915; rehabilitated 1978
- - Morris Knauer (Contractor)
- Nathan R. Rambo (County Engineer)
- Pony plate girder
Length of largest span: 49.9 ft.
Total length: 87.9 ft.
Deck width: 17.4 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.16998, -75.72543 (decimal degrees)
40°10'12" N, 75°43'32" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/438231/4446875 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- PA 15 7015 0452 0259 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 10697 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 49609 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 08/2008)
- Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 45.9 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2008)
- July 20, 2014: New photos from Patrick S. O'Donnell
- September 14, 2011: Updated by Nathan Holth: Added Historic Bridge Inventory Data
- September 14, 2011: Added by James McCray
- James McCray - jamesinslocomb [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Nathan Holth
- Patrick S. O'Donnell - 1 [dot] 991km [at] comcast [dot] net