Linfield Bridge - August 2006
Side View from Chester County Side
Photo taken by Raymond Klein
BH Photo #132976
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The 3 span, 371'-long Warren pony truss bridge with polygonal top chord is composed of riveted built-up sections for the chords and rolled beams for the diagonals. The bridge built in 1932 is supported on concrete abutments and ashlar piers with concrete caps. A sidewalk with metal lattice railings is cantilevered off of one side. The rolled floorbeams and stringers support a concrete-filled steel deck placed in 1970. The bridge is a late and undistinguished example of a bridge type and design that has been in common use since the late-19th-century. It was built as a replacement bridge by the state highway department at a crossing that has been in service since the early 19th century when there was a covered bridge. In standard fashion, the state highway department used the well-established riveted truss bridge technology, and repaired and reused the piers of a previous bridge. The bridge has no noteworthy details or features. It is not historically or technologically distinguished by its setting or context.
- Pony truss bridge over Schuylkill River on Linfield Rd. (Main St.)
- Linfield, Chester County, Pennsylvania, and Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1932; rehabilitated 1970
- Three-span polygonal Warren pony truss
Length of largest span: 123.0 ft.
Total length: 371.1 ft.
Deck width: 22.6 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.20523, -75.58080 (decimal degrees)
40°12'19" N, 75°34'51" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/450571/4450697 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- PA 15 1035 0050 2167 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 10361 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30673 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 06/2009)
- Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 54.3 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- August 9, 2014: New photos from Patrick S. O'Donnell
- May 5, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description & corrected rehab year
- February 4, 2009: Updated by Raymond Klein: Added town of Linfield and two photos.
- Raymond Klein - Bookshelfthe [at] msn [dot] com
- Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com
- Historicbridges.org - by Nathan Holth
- Patrick S. O'Donnell - 1 [dot] 991km [at] comcast [dot] net