Bethlehem Steel Company Footbridge
Photo taken by Jodi Christman 7/23/2011
Location is Lower Works, Bethlehem Steel Corp. This bridge is the entrance gate to the lower works. The footbridge existed since the 1850s when this was originally Cambria Iron Works. There's speculation that the original (or an earlier bridge) had been washed out by the flood of 1936 so that would put the bridge construction date near the later part of the 1930s. Current owner: Johnstown Redevelopment Authority
- Through truss bridge over Conemaugh River in Johnstown
- Johnstown, Cambria County, Pennsylvania
- Open to Pedestrians
- Constructed circa 1930, western span rebuilt in 1977, restored in 2006
- Eastern span is original and built about 1930. It is a riveted Warren through truss. The western span was rebuilt after 1977 flood. It is a steel half-deck truss. Both is on concrete piers. It was restored in 2006 as part of Johnstown's draw for tourists. The restoration turned the western span back to the original Warren thru truss design.
Length of largest span: 75.0 ft.
Total length: 150.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.33640, -78.92490 (decimal degrees)
40°20'11" N, 78°55'30" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/676263/4467162 (zone/easting/northing)
- USGS topographic map
- Inventory number
- BH 49382 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 20, 2011: Updated by Luke Harden: tweaked a few things
- August 20, 2011: Added by Jodi Christman