Sergeant Michael Strank Memorial Bridge
Photo taken by Jodi Christman on 7/23/2011
BH Photo #205104
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The 1921, 750'-long viaduct has a riveted, 176'-long, Parker thru truss main span and 8 thru girder, deck girder, and adjacent box beam approach spans. The last are replacements dating from 1977. The safety shape parapets and cantilevered sidewalk with modern steel railing date to 1984. The viaduct uses common technologies and has no innovative or distinctive details. Nor is it significant in association with the former Pennsylvania Railroad main line, because the viaduct was built as a highway oriented project meant primarily to improve vehicular traffic flow, not by the railroad to increase the efficiency of its operations. The viaduct is neither historically nor technologically significant.
- Through truss bridge over Little Conemaugh River on PA 271 in East Conemaugh
- East Conemaugh, Cambria County, Pennsylvania
- Demolished and replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1921; rehabilitated 1977/1984
- - Bell-Bockel Co. of Altoona, Pennsylvania
- Ferris Bridge/Engineering Co. of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (Engineer/Design)
- Main Span: Fixed Metal Riveted Parker Through Truss
Approach Spans: Fixed Metal Through Girder
Length of largest span: 173.9 ft.
Total length: 750.0 ft.
Deck width: 24.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.3 ft.
- Also called
- Little Conemaugh River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.34403, -78.88450 (decimal degrees)
40°20'38" N, 78°53'04" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/679675/4468089 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- PA 11 0271 0280 0000 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 08506 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30601 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 06/2009)
- Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 3.0 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2009)
- April 16, 2012: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge has been demolished and replaced.
- July 24, 2011: New photos from Jodi Christman
- July 23, 2011: New Street View added by Clark Vance
- July 23, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description, name, bridge builder, other details