Upper Black Eddy-Milford Bridge
Upper Black Eddy-Milford -- April 4, 2010
Down River side view in the Spring
Photo taken by Raymond Klein
BH Photo #164573
The original bridge was built in 1842, after a great flood the year before to accommodate business needs that ferries could not handle. Two more floods damaged the bridge including the Flood of 1955 in the afternmath of both Hurricane Connie and Hurricane Diane. The 1955 flood left the bridge under seven feet of water, and while not completly destorying the bridge, did csause structural damage
"The existing bridge, constructed in 1933, is a three-span Warren truss structure, with a total length of 700 feet. The concrete-filled steel deck w.20 feet between tri-beam guide rails. In 1996 a new galvinized plate sidewalk was added to the bridge and is supported on the up river truss on steeel cantitlever brackets. Both abutments recapped w/reinforced concrete following flood damage, were originally built in 1842 w/rubble-faced masonry. The piers, also built in 1842, are stone-filled and have been recapped with reinforced concrete."
- Through truss bridge over Delaware River on PA 32-NJ 519 between Upper Black Eddy, PA & Milford, NJ
- Upper Black Eddy, New Jersey, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, and Hunterdon County, New Jersey
- Open to traffic
- Built 1933 by the McClintic-Marshall Co.
- - McClintic-Marshall Co. of Chicago, Illinois & Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Warren through truss
Length of largest span: 228.0 ft.
Total length: 700.2 ft.
Deck width: 20.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 16.8 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.56667, -75.09833 (decimal degrees)
40°34'00" N, 75°05'54" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/491676/4490659 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- PA 09 7203 9991 0005 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
BH 30535 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 04/2008)
- Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 61.6 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 1988)
- October 23, 2017: New Street View added by Matthew
- August 13, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Riveted"
- July 5, 2013: New Street View added by Dave King
- May 8, 2010: New photos from Raymond Klein
- February 6, 2010: Updated by Raymond Klein: Added two photos, Changed USGS from Frenchtown, NJ to Easton, PA. Added narative from DRJTBC & Wikipedia