Mill Road Bridge Buckingham Township, PA
Mill Road Bridge -- October 25, 2009
Overview lookingt towards Spring Valley Road
Photo taken by Raymond Klein
BH Photo #148344
Historic Bridge Inventory: The one span, 36' long reinforced concrete deck girder bridge built in 1912 is a rare example of its type. It was designed by the county, and it is one of five surviving examples dating from 1909 to 1917 in Bucks County. It is finished with pipe railings set between concrete posts. Bucks County used reinforced concrete bridge technologies, including deck arch and thru girder bridges, fairly early. This bridge is technologically significant within the local context. It represents the experimentation with various types and designs in the early days when reinforced concrete was being used for bridges. Thru girder bridges are much more common than deck arch bridges. The bridge appears to be complete.
- Concrete deck girder bridge over Watson Creek on Mill Road in Buckingham Township (near Doylestown,) PA -Bucks County Bridge #50
- Bucks County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1912
- - Adam Oscar Martin of Doylestown, Pennsylvania (Likely County Engineer)
- Concrete deck girder
Length of largest span: 29.9 ft.
Total length: 36.1 ft.
Deck width: 15.4 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.31667, -75.08167 (decimal degrees)
40°19'00" N, 75°04'54" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/493061/4462908 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 1997)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 09 7009 0376 0050 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 07526 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30537 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of April 2016)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 52.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- May 14, 2015: Updated by Nathan Holth: Add info.
- October 31, 2009: Updated by Raymond Klein: Added two photos. Buckingham Twp to Name-City=-Overview. Bucks Co. Bridge #50 to Overview. USGS Buckingham to Doylestown, PA
- Raymond Klein - Bookshelfthe [at] msn [dot] com
- Nathan Holth