Rating:
1 vote

Ironville Bridge

Photos 

Photo taken by Jodi Christman on May 22, 2011

BH Photo #199637

Description 

FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY: "The 2 span, 166'-long, reinforced concrete deck arch bridge built in 1912 to plans developed by the county has raised paneled parapets, concrete abutments, and a concrete bullnosed pier. The bridge is one of 13 surviving deck arch bridges designed by the Blair County engineer and built between 1908 and 1913. This example has no innovative or distinctive details. An example of a common type, it was built to a standardized design that was illustrated in the engineering texts of the period. The bridge is neither technologically nor historically significant." Hence in PENNDOT's eyes bridge is being demolished as seen in the photos from May 22, 2011.

Facts 

Overview
Two-span concrete arch bridge over Little Juniata River on PA 1014 (Ironville Road)
Location
Blair County, Pennsylvania
Status
Replaced by a new bridge
History
Built 1912; rehabilitated 1988; demolished 2011
Builder
- Curwensville Construction Co. of Curwensville, Pennsylvania
Design
Concrete, closed-spandrel arch
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 76.1 ft.
Total length: 166.0 ft.
Deck width: 22.0 ft.
Also called
Little Juniata River Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+40.65973, -78.21780   (decimal degrees)
40°39'35" N, 78°13'04" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
17/735200/4504707 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Tyrone
Average daily traffic (as of 2008)
84
Inventory numbers
PA 07 1014 0010 0110 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 05711 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30445 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection report (as of April 2008)
Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 51.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com

Update Log 

  • December 9, 2014: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge has been demolished and replaced.
  • May 23, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Name change and added description
  • May 22, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Updated status
  • January 8, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Corrected GPS

Sources