Pleasantville Covered Bridge 38-06-01
Photo taken Feb. 2007 by James H. Fox
BH Photo #108520
One of five remaining covered wooden bridges in Berks County, the bridge is a contributing resource in the Oley Township Historic District. It is distinctive for its two-phase construction: an arch-stiffened pony truss completed in 1852 and covered by a different builder in 1856. With its three sets of stiffening arches, the bridge is a unique adaptation of Theodore's Burr's patented truss form.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Covered bridge over Little Manatawny Creek on PA 1030 (Covered Bridge Road)
- Berks County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1852 as an uncovered bridge; covered in 1856
- - David Renno (1852 superstructure)
- Jonathan Bitner (1856 modifications)
- Levi Marks (1852 substructure)
- Triple Burr arch truss
Length of largest span: 126.0 ft.
Total length: 142.0 ft.
Deck width: 16.5 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 11.9 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 23, 1981
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.37897, -75.73872 (decimal degrees)
40°22'44" N, 75°44'19" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/437292/4470082 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 81000533 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
WGCB 38-06-01 (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
PA 06 1030 0080 0000 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
BH 30411 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 22, 2015: HAER photos posted by Dave King
- March 3, 2014: New photos from Jack Schmidt
- March 2, 2014: Photo imported by Dave King
- February 26, 2007: Posted photos from James H. Fox
- James H. Fox
- HAER PA-491 - Pleasantville Covered Bridge, Spanning Little Manatawny Creek at Covered Bridge Road (State Route 1030), Manatawny vicinity, Berks County, PA
- Dale Travis Covered Bridge List
- Jack Schmidt - jjturtle [at] earthlink [dot] net
- HAER PA-491 - Pleasantville Covered Bridge, Spanning Little Manatawny Creek at Covered Bridge Road (State Route 1030), Manatawny, Berks County, PA