Old Narrows Bridge
Abutments remain from a crossing shown on the 1902 Everett, PA 15' quad. Visible from the PA turnpike.
This was the Bedford-Chambersburg Turnpike before being incorporated into the Lincoln Highway in 1916. A number of wooden bridges crossed The Narrows before an iron bridge was built to replace one burned in 1902. Originally built by the Chambersburg-Bedford Turnpike Company, it was maintained by the county for most of its history until taken over by the state in 1929. The replacement bridge was built in 1935.
Information about the bridges crossing The Narrows is found in the HAER report and copied to the page of the successor bridge.
- Lost Bridge over Raystown Branch Juniata River on Road
- Bedford County, Pennsylvania
- Replaced on a different alignment
- Several wooden bridges crossed near here. An iron bridge was built ca.1902 and was removed upon completion of the current concrete bridge in 1935.
- Iron Truss
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.01852, -78.47545 (decimal degrees)
40°01'07" N, 78°28'32" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/715449/4432866 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 90142 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 3, 2020: Added by Clark Vance