Rating:
2 votes

Colvin Covered Bridge 38-05-24

Photos 

Approach

It is located about a mile and a half from Schellsburg.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in August 2003

BH Photo #114509

Map 

Description 

"Pennsylvania's Covered Bridges" states in their 2nd edition (Benjamin D. Evans & June R. Evans) that this bridge was built in 1880.

The book also states Dr. Shiller once owned the bridge. It also states it is unusual compared to most multiple kingpost type truss structures found throughout the state because except for the centermost vertical all the other verticals lean toward the end and diagonal timbers reach only halfway up the verticals, and there's a horizontal member cutting across where the diagonals meet.

Facts 

Overview
Multiple Kingpost through truss bridge over Shawnee Creek on TR 443 (Mill Road) in Schellsburg
Location
Schellsburg, Bedford County, Pennsylvania
Status
Open to traffic
History
Built 1866 (there is some controversy over the date) by J.H. Thompson; rehabilitated 1998
Builder
- J.H. Thompson
Design
Multiple Kingpost through truss
Dimensions
Span length: 66.0 ft.
Total length: 66.0 ft.
Deck width: 12.5 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 7.6 ft.
Approximate latitude, longitude
+40.03807, -78.65436   (decimal degrees)
40°02'17" N, 78°39'16" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
17/700121/4434618 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Schellsburg
Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
50
Inventory numbers
PA 05 7218 0443 3015 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 04522 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 36654 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection report (as of February 2015)
Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 38.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com

Update Log 

  • June 28, 2018: New photos from John Christeson
  • July 9, 2014: New photos from Andrew Raker
  • December 25, 2012: New photos from Jodi Christman
  • November 23, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description and removed that it is on NR
  • May 9, 2009: New photos from Brian McKee
  • May 28, 2008: Added by J.R. Manning

Sources 

  • J.R. Manning - thekitchenguy [at] sbcglobal [dot] net
  • Brian McKee - bjmckee51 [at] yahoo [dot] com
  • Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com
  • Andrew Raker
  • John Christeson - john_christeson [at] yahoo [dot] com