Washington Crossing Bridge
Significance: The bridge is an outstanding example of a long-span metal deck arch bridge. Its unique architectural details, forged in a successful collaboration between architects and engineers in the design and construction of the bridge, add to its significance. The bridge is also significant because its construction was the culmination of a conflict over Allegheny River bridge heights between the U.S. War Department and local governments.
- Three-span steel arch bridge over Allegheny River on Fortieth Street (Route 2124) in Pittsburgh
- Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1923-24
- - All-Steel Equipment Co.
- Benno Janssen of St. Louis, Missouri
- Charles S. Davis
- H.P. Converse Co.
- McClintic-Marshall Co. of Chicago, Illinois & Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Steel arch
Length of largest span: 379.9 ft.
Total length: 2,364.0 ft. (0.4 mi.)
Deck width: 39.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 15.8 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 22, 1988
- Also called
- Fortieth Street Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.47350, -79.96969 (decimal degrees)
40°28'25" N, 79°58'11" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/587336/4480822 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Pittsburgh East
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 88000820 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
PA 02 2124 0010 0255 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 01674 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30321 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 05/2009)
- Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 50.3 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- March 1, 2014: New Street View added by Dave King
- October 29, 2010: New photos from Jason Smith
- January 1, 2010: Posted HAER photos
- September 11, 2006: Posted HAER photo
- HAER PA-447 - Washington Crossing Bridge, Spanning Allegheny River at Fortieth Street (State Route 2124), Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, PA
- Jason Smith - flensburg [dot] bridgehunter [dot] av [at] googlemail [dot] com
- Bridgemapper.com - by Todd Wilson and Lauren Winkler
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
- HABS PA-1179 - Washington Crossing Bridge, Fortieth Street, Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, PA