John's Burnt Mill Bridge
South side of bridge
Photo taken by Jodi Christman in May 14, 2013
BH Photo #253896
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The 3 span, 126'-long stone arch bridge with has bullnosed piers, ashlar voussoirs, and fieldstone spandrel walls with iron tie rods. The fieldstone parapets extend over the flared wingwalls to enclose the approach roadways. With the exception of replacement concrete coping and some heavy repointing to sections of the parapets, the bridge appears to be complete and unaltered. The BMS lists a date of construction of 1870. Although the date is appropriate, the source of the date and the builder are not documented by available records. The bridge is the earliest, most complete, longest, and finest of at least four stone arch highway bridges from ca. 1870 to 1901 identified in Adams County. It is a historically and technologically distinguished, multiple span example of the traditional bridge type.
DISCREPANCY: PA data says 126' in length whereas NIB says 61'
Wiki states: It was built between 1800 and 1823, and is a 75-foot-long (23 m), triple-arched fieldstone bridge.
- Three-span stone arch bridge over S. Branch Conewago Creek on Storms Store Road
- Adams County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built ca. 1870
- Triple Stone Arch Closed Spandrel
Length of largest span: 18.0 ft.
Total length: 61.0 ft.
Deck width: 13.5 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 16, 1974
- Also called
- Storms Store Road Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.83247, -77.07973 (decimal degrees)
39°49'57" N, 77°04'47" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/322034/4411232 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- PA 01 7216 0428 3056 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
NRHP 74001731 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
PANBI 00458 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30206 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 08/2009)
- Superstructure condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 79.9 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2005)
- March 1, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Imported photos & added street view
- May 16, 2013: New photos from Jodi Christman
- December 26, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description note