Iron Springs Road Bridge
Photo taken by Jodi Christman 9/17/2011
BH Photo #213865
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
"The one span, 25'-long, stone arch bridge has voussoirs and spandrel walls with heavy vegetation growing in the earth fill. The bridge was built between 1836 and 1842 as part of the Tapeworm RR, a state sponsored project that was intended to connect Gettysburg with Thaddeus Stevens' iron furnaces in Franklin County. Cuts, embankments, and this stone bridge were completed before the state stopped appropriations and the project was abandoned in 1842. The line was derisively called the Tapeworm RR by its political opponents who saw the meandering line as one of the worst abuses of state-owned internal improvements. As a result of the Tapeworm RR and other canal and railroad projects, the state went heavily into debt. After 1842, state participation in internal improvements declined. The bridge is historically significant for its association with the Tapeworm RR."
"The bridge carries a 2 lane road over a stream in a sparsely developed, forested mountain setting with scattered 20th century residences. Upstream of the bridge is a complex of seasonal cabins with a small dam and decorative metal waterwheel."
- Stone arch bridge over Toms Creek on PA 3014
- Adams County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1836-42 by the Tapeworm Railroad
- Stone arch
Span length: 24.9 ft.
Total length: 24.9 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.76928, -77.42396 (decimal degrees)
39°46'09" N, 77°25'26" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/292385/4404960 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Iron Springs
- Inventory numbers
- PA 01 3014 0070 0000 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 00321 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30200 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 10/2009)
- Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 88.8 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2009)
- January 6, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description note
- September 18, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Tweaked GPS, added bridge design and description details