Alloway Creek Bridge
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
'The skewed, 1 span, 74'-long, rivet-connected Pratt pony truss bridge built in 1903 is supported on stone abutments with wingwalls. The wingwall parapets have been heavily repointed and capstones replaced by concrete. The truss is composed of built-up members of standard steel sections of angles and plates. It has angle outriggers. One of the diagonals is twisted from impact damage. The open steel grid deck and steel stringers were placed ca. 1970. High strength bolts have been used to replace rivets at the floorbeam connections. The bridge was fabricated by Nelson & Buchanan of Chambersburg, PA, prolific builders of metal truss bridges in the region, including four extant bridges from 1894 to 1905 in Adams County. This bridge is a late, short, and undistinguished example of the firm's work. The altered bridge is not an important example of the rivet-connected truss bridge technology that was standard beginning in the late 1890s. Other longer and more complete truss bridges in Adams County and the region represent the historical and technological significance of Nelson & Buchanan's bridges and the metal truss bridge technology. The bridge is not distiguished by its settiing or context.
- Pony truss bridge over Alloway Creek on PA 2012
- Adams County, Pennsylvania
- Demolished and replaced.
- Built 1903 by Nelson & Buchanan of Chambersburg, PA
- - Nelson & Buchanan of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
- Pratt pony truss
Span length: 74.2 ft.
Total length: 74.2 ft.
Deck width: 13.7 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.74000, -77.14500 (decimal degrees)
39°44'24" N, 77°08'42" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/316202/4401100 (zone/easting/northing)
- USGS topographic map
- Inventory numbers
- PA 01 2012 0040 0000 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
BH 30195 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 03/1999)
- Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Critical (2 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 20.1 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2000)
- January 21, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Corrected builder.
- December 26, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description note
- March 21, 2011: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge has been demolished and replaced.
- Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com
- Nathan Holth
- Luke Harden - lukemh9 [at] gmail [dot] com