South Branch Conewago Creek Bridge
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
'The 2 span, 121'-long, reinforced concrete deck arch bridge built in 1929 has standard concrete balustrades and paneled pilasters forming the balustrade posts over the bullnose concrete pier and abutments. The reinforced concrete arch bridge technology was introduced in Pennsylvania about 1900 and by the 1910s was ubiquitous. There are over 270 pre-1920 examples in the state. This is a later undistinguished design by the state highway department bridge unit with no noteworthy details or features. The bridge does not have a significant historic association with the development of the Lincoln Highway, postdating the period when the route was actively promoted by the Lincoln Hwy. Assoc. The highway has been continually improved to state highway department standards with replacement pavements and guide rails, regrading and widening. It no longer retains a historic character west of New Oxford.
NOTE ON DISCREPANCIES: Deck is noted in PA data at 52.3 whereas NIB says 49.5. The length in the PA data says 121' whereas NIB says 107.9'
- Two-span concrete arch bridge over South Branch of Conewago Creek on US 30
- Adams County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1929
- - Charles A. Williams of Jacobus, Pennsylvania
- G.A. & F.M. Wagman of York, Pennsylvania
- Closed-spandrel arch
Length of largest span: 49.9 ft.
Total length: 107.9 ft.
Deck width: 49.5 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.86158, -77.07398 (decimal degrees)
39°51'42" N, 77°04'26" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/322601/4414453 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 01 0030 0450 0687 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 00054 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30205 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of March 2015)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 79.2 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 22, 2015: HAER photos posted by Dave King
- December 26, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description note
- May 23, 2011: Updated by Daniel Hopkins: Tweaked GPS
- June 22, 2008: Updated by J.R. Manning: Added to Lincoln Highway category
- J.R. Manning - thekitchenguy [at] sbcglobal [dot] net
- Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com
- Daniel Hopkins - chimera [at] clovermail [dot] net
- HAER PA-486 - Little Conewago Creek Bridge, Spanning South Branch of Conewago Creek at Lincoln Highway (U.S. Route 30), New Oxford, Adams County, PA