Rating:
No votes cast

Sherar's Bridge (1979)

Photos 

Sherar's Bridge

Photo taken by Richard Doody in December 2009

Enlarge

BH Photo #420566

Description 

One of the first suspension bridges in the inland northwest was strung across the Deschutes River by John Todd in 1860. The crossing was located near the Indian fishing grounds just below the river’s falls on an extension of the Barlow toll road. Joseph H. Sherar acquired the property in 1871 for $7,000. Shearer spent ten times that amount on improvements to the road and recovered it by charging hefty tolls. He built a hotel and livery stable nearby, ran a post office and lent his name to the falls and the crossing. The road’s importance declined after the Oregon Trunk Railway was built up the canyon in 1910. The structures built by Shearer have all disappeared and the only physical evidence of the crossing’s horse and wagon era importance is the historical marker erected by the state of Oregon and the faux petrpglyphs cast on the outside beams of the modern concrete bridge.

Facts 

Overview
Steel girder bridge over Deschutes River on OR-206
Location
Wasco County, Oregon, and Sherman County, Oregon
Status
Open to traffic
History
Built 1979
Design
Steel stringer
Dimensions
Span length: 65.9 ft.
Total length: 65.9 ft.
Deck width: 27.9 ft.
Approximate latitude, longitude
+45.26094, -121.03615   (decimal degrees)
45°15'39" N, 121°02'10" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
10/654076/5013814 (zone/easting/northing)
Average daily traffic (as of 2016)
80
Inventory numbers
OR 00939A (Oregon Dept. of Transportation structure number)
BH 80946 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection report (as of October 2017)
Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 87.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com

Update Log 

  • September 18, 2020: New photos from Mike Garland
  • April 19, 2018: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical info to description
  • April 1, 2018: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody
  • Mike Garland - Rapier342 [at] comcast [dot] net