The previous alignment was carved out of the shear basalt cliffs of Tooth Rock and passed over two ravines via the Tooth Rock and Eagle Creek Viaducts. This narrow section of roadway was a mere 18-feet wide and thus needed to be widened to accommodate the larger vehicles being manufactured.
As part of the realignment the Tooth Rock Tunnel was blasted through Tooth Rock and created a need for a new bridge over Eagle Creek. The Oregon State Highway Department engineers under State Bride Engineer Conde B. McCullough designed an elegant three span steel tied arch bridge to accommodate the need. The design was similar to other steel tied arch bridges built during this era, such as the Winston Bridge over the South Umpqua River near Winston and the McLoughlin Bridge over the Clackamas River near Oregon City.
By 1969 the interstate era was upon the Columbia River Gorge and the 1936 Eagle Creek Bridge was replaced with a wider three span steel plate girder bridge. The new bridge uses the original 1936 piers, but the arches were removed to make way for the plate girders.
In 1970 the main 180-foot center span of the Eagle Creek Bridge was re-erected near Barton, Oregon in Clackamas County as part of the Barton Bridge on Bakers Ferry Road. The Barton Bridge was not constructed with the architectural treatments of the Eagle Creek Bridge, but still has some of the charm of an old tied arch bridge.