Rating:
No votes cast

Morrison Street Bridge (1st)

Photos 

Public Domain: Published Prior to 1923; Provided by the City of Portland

View this photo at portlandoregon.gov

BH Photo #416142

Map 

Description 

The Morrison Bridge was Portland's first bridge across the Willamette, completed in 1887, . At its opening, it was the longest bridge west of the Mississippi. It was considered a wooden swing-span structure, though it appears some steel may have used in the span that opened. It was replaced in 1905 by a second swing-span bridge, which was itself replaced by the current Morrison Bridge in 1958.

Facts 

Overview
Lost Pratt through truss bridge over Willamette river on Morrison street
Location
Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon
Status
Replaced by a new bridge
History
Built 1888; Replaced 1905
Builders
- Pacific Bridge Co. of Portland, Oregon
- Willamette Iron Bridge Co. of Portland, Oregon
Railroads
- Streetcar
- Willamette Bridge Railway
Design
Pratt through truss
Approximate latitude, longitude
+45.51813, -122.66978   (decimal degrees)
45°31'05" N, 122°40'11" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
10/525791/5040563 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Portland
Inventory number
BH 80031 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • March 21, 2018: New photo from Leslie R Trick
  • March 18, 2018: New photo from Leslie R trick
  • January 16, 2018: New photo from Douglas Butler
  • January 11, 2018: Updated by Luke: Converted duplicate entry
  • January 11, 2018: Added by Leslie R Trick

Related Bridges 

Sources 

  • Leslie R Trick
  • Luke
  • Douglas Butler