Owyhee River Bridge
Looking northwest from east bank of Owyhee River, south of the bridge
Photo taken by Karl Sweitzer in August 2008
BH Photo #124619
The Owyhee River Bridge at Rome was one of the first truss bridges designed by the Oregon State Highway Department after the departure of Conde McCullough as the state bridge engineer. The structure was designed under the guidance of McCullough's successor Glen S. Paxson. Paxson was serving as acting bridge engineer when the plans were finalized in late 1935.
The bridge originally consisted of two 120-foot long warren deck truss spans flanged by two timber trestle spans on each end of the main spans. The original roadway with was 26-feet with and was accented with a standard concrete rail consisting of two square longitudinal concrete rails spanning between concrete rail posts.
A major structural project in 1985 significantly modified the appearance of the bridge. The timber approach spans were replaced with pre-stressed concrete slab spans, the deck was replaced on the trusses and the original rail was replaced with a tube steel railing.
- Warren deck truss bridge over Owyhee River on US 95
- Malheur County, Oregon
- Open to traffic
- Built 1936; rehabilitated 1985
- - Glenn S. Paxson (Acting Bridge Engineer)
- Two span Warren deck truss with alternating verticals with pre-stressed concrete slab approach spans.
Length of largest span: 120.1 ft.
Total length: 334.0 ft.
Deck width: 31.2 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.84028, -117.62361 (decimal degrees)
42°50'25" N, 117°37'25" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 11/449038/4743266 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Scott Reservoir
- 3395 ft. above sea level
- Inventory numbers
- OR 01945A (Oregon Dept. of Transportation structure number)
BH 30091 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 10/2015)
- Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 75.3 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2014)
- April 6, 2016: New photos from Mike Goff
- April 27, 2010: New Street View added by Michael Goff
- September 14, 2008: Updated by Karl Sweitzer: Add # of spans, elevation, quad map
- Karl Sweitzer - kesc [at] pacbell [dot] net
- Mike Goff - michael [dot] goff [at] hotmail [dot] com