Soda Fork Bridge
Soda Fork Bridge
Facing east along U.S. 20
Photo taken by Michael Goff in June 2011
BH Photo #201049
The bridge crossing the Soda Fork of the Santiam River on U.S. Route 20 is a three span reinforced concrete deck girder bridge measuring 154.0-feet in length. The central main span is 60-feet long and the two flanking approach spans are each 47-feet long. The bridge features a 26-foot roadway deck that carries both directions of U.S. Route 20 and two 3.5-foot sidewalks for pedestrians.
The Soda Fork Bridge features the standard gothic opening concrete railing that can be found on many other notable Oregon bridges from 1935 to 1937. The bridge also features curved sidewalk support brackets under the sidewalk along both sides of the structure.
The bridge designed and constructed by the Oregon State Highway Department in 1936 under the direction of newly appointed State Bridge Engineer Glenn S. Paxson. The bridge is located just downstream from Soda Fork Falls which is a minor but interesting waterfall along the route over Santiam Pass.
- Concrete deck girder bridge over Soda Fork on U.S. 20
- Linn County, Oregon
- Open to traffic
- Built 1936
- - Glenn S. Paxson of Salem, Oregon (Bridge Engineer)
- Reinforced concrete deck girder
Length of largest span: 60.0 ft.
Total length: 153.9 ft.
Deck width: 25.9 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.40583, -122.28139 (decimal degrees)
44°24'21" N, 122°16'53" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/557219/4917200 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Upper Soda
- Average daily traffic (as of 2014)
- Inventory numbers
- OR 01706 (Oregon Dept. of Transportation structure number)
BH 48905 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of February 2016)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 79.5 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- August 13, 2015: New photos from Mike Garland
- June 13, 2011: Added by Michael Goff
- Mike Goff - michael [dot] goff [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Mike Garland - Rapier342 [at] comcast [dot] net