Rating:
2 votes

PNWR - Calapooia River Bridge

Photos 

P.N.W.R. - Calapooia River Bridge

Photo taken by Michael Goff in October 2010

Enlarge

BH Photo #185229

Map 

Facts 

Overview
Through truss bridge over Calapooia River on Portland and Western Railroad (PNWR) in Albany
Location
Albany, Linn County, Oregon
Status
Open to traffic
History
Built in 1908 by the Oregon Electric Railroad
Railroads
- Genesee & Wyoming Inc. (G&W)
- Oregon Electric Railway (OER)
- Portland & Western Railroad (PNWR)
- Spokane, Portland & Seattle Railway (SPS)
Design
The Calapooia River Bridge is a pinned connected through truss. The bridge features from north to south a 250-foot through truss, a 440-foot timber approach trestle, an 80-foot plate girder, and finally another 1202-foot timber approach trestle. The bridge crosses the Calapooia River twice ending up on the same side of the river in which it started. The total length of the structure is about 2000-feet.
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 250.0 ft.
Total length: 1,972.0 ft.
Deck width: 15.0 ft.
Approximate latitude, longitude
+44.63607, -123.11210   (decimal degrees)
44°38'10" N, 123°06'44" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
10/491108/4942529 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Albany
Inventory number
BH 44246 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • April 4, 2013: New Street View added by Mike Goff
  • February 25, 2010: Added by Michael Goff

Sources 

  • Mike Goff - michael [dot] goff [at] hotmail [dot] com

Comments 

P.N.W.R. - Calapooia River Bridge
Posted October 25, 2011, by Michael Goff (michael [dot] goff [at] hotmail [dot] com)

I have fixed the mix-up with the railroad that built the bridge.

P.N.W.R. - Calapooia River Bridge
Posted October 25, 2011, by Charles Bonville (chabonor [at] yahoo [dot] com)

This page specifies the bridge was built in 1908 by Southern Pacific Railroad. This cannot be correct as this railroad line has never been owned by Southern Pacific. This railroad line was built by the Oregon Electric Railroad, which competed with Southern Pacific for the movement of passengers and freight between Eugene, Oregon and Portland, Oregon. The Oregon Electric ceased passenger services circa 1933, and was later acquired by the Seattle, Portland & Spokane RR, which was acquired by Burlington Northern RR. BNSF still owns the line today, and has leased it to PNWR since circa 2000.