Hoffman Covered Bridge 37-22-08
Hoffman Covered Bridge
Photo taken by Michael Goff on March 20, 2010
BH Photo #161099
The Hoffman Covered Bridge spans Crabtree Creek one mile northeast of the town of Crabtree. Both the town and the creek were named for John Crabtree, who settled in the area in 1845.
Gothic style windows grace this structure, instead of the usual open Linn County truss design. The portal design, originally rounded when the bridge was constructed, was enlarged and squared to allow passage of larger loads. The upper chords show signs of being shaped by hand and as most bridge crews in 1936 had yet to use power tools, logs were often cut nearby. Shaping of the chord timbers was done with hand adzes prior to being placed across the stream.
The roofed river crossing was built by Lee Hoffman following State Highway Department specifications.
(Reference: Roofs Over Rivers, by Bill and Nick Cockrell)
- Covered Howe through truss bridge over Crabtree Creek on Hungry Hill Drive
- Linn County, Oregon
- Open to traffic
- Built 1936
- - Lee Hoffman (Contractor)
- Covered Howe Through truss
Length of largest span: 89.9 ft.
Total length: 148.0 ft.
Deck width: 17.1 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 10.1 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 17, 1987
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.65306, -122.89028 (decimal degrees)
44°39'11" N, 122°53'25" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/508699/4944416 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- Inventory numers
- OR 01724 (Oregon Dept. of Transportation structure number)
NRHP 87000017 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 30079 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of July 2016)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 44.8 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- October 4, 2017: New photos from Mike Garland
- March 10, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added NRHP info & imported photos
- April 26, 2010: New Street View added by Michael Goff
- April 5, 2010: Updated by Michael Goff: added bridge history and photos
- Mike Goff - michael [dot] goff [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Historic Highway Bridges of Oregon - Dwight A. Smith, James B. Norman & Pieter T. Dykman, Oregon Historical Society Press, 1989
- Hoffman Covered Bridge - Oregon Covered Bridge Guide
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Mike Garland - Rapier342 [at] comcast [dot] net