Short Covered Bridge 37-22-09 #3
Short Covered Bridge
Photo taken by Michael Goff in June 2011
BH Photo #204712
The Short Bridge is the sole survivor of the covered bridges which crossed the South Fork of the Santiam River and is one of the few remaining in the county to have a wooden shingle roof. The span is Linn County's most eastern covered bridge.
When the wooden-housed structure was built, the bridge was known more commonly as the Whiskey Butte Bridge but was renamed for a long-time area resident, Gordon Short.
Quite often visitors are surprised by ducks, deer and other animals in the vicinity of the bridge. During the summer, fishermen on and under the bridge cast lines into the cool waters of the South Santiam River.
(Reference: Roofs Over Rivers, by Bill and Nick Cockrell)
- Covered Howe through truss bridge over South Santiam River on High Deck Road
- Linn County, Oregon
- Open to traffic
- Built 1945; rehabilitated 1991
- Covered Howe through truss
Length of largest span: 105.0 ft.
Total length: 173.9 ft.
Deck width: 18.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.5 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 29, 1979
- Also called
- High Deck Road Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.39139, -122.50972 (decimal degrees)
44°23'29" N, 122°30'35" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/539048/4915461 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Green Peter
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 79002113 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
OR 14025 (Oregon Dept. of Transportation structure number)
BH 30078 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of August 2015)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 48.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- April 9, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
- March 10, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added NRHP info, street view & imported photos
- July 21, 2011: New photos from Michael Goff
- April 20, 2009: Updated by Michael Goff
- Historic Highway Bridges of Oregon - Dwight A. Smith, James B. Norman & Pieter T. Dykman, Oregon Historical Society Press, 1989
- Mike Goff - michael [dot] goff [at] hotmail [dot] com
- HAER OR-120 - Short Bridge, Spanning South Santiam River at High Deck Road, Cascadia vicinity, Linn County, OR
- Short Covered Bridge - Oregon Covered Bridge Guide
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Richard Doody