Hannah Covered Bridge 37-22-02
Hannah Covered Bridge
Photo taken by Michael Goff on March 20, 2010
BH Photo #161083
The Hannah Bridge spans Thomas Creek just 1.5 miles from Jordan, where a covered bridge also crossed the stream until 1986. Thomas Creek was named for Frederick Thomas, who obtained a Donation Land Claim and settled on the banks of the creek in 1846.
In 1853, John Joseph Hannah arrived by wagon train and was granted a 151 acre tract of land bound by Thomas Creek and Bilyeu Creek. Hannah built one of the first sawmills in the area, powered with water from Bilyeu Creek.
In 1912, another covered bridge crossed Thomas Creek just east of the present structure, according to Aileen Howell, granddaughter of Hannah. Lumber from the dismantled bridge was used by the Hannah family to build a tool shed and sheep barn.
During the summer months, the bridge is a popular spot for swimmers often jumping from the bridge into the deep pool beneath. Several television commercials have been filmed at the site.
(Reference: Roofs Over Rivers, by Bill and Nick Cockrell)
- Covered Howe through truss bridge over Thomas Creek on Camp Morrison Road
- Linn County, Oregon
- Open to traffic
- Built 1936
- Covered Howe through truss
Length of largest span: 105.0 ft.
Total length: 152.9 ft.
Deck width: 19.4 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 11.3 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 29, 1979
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.71194, -122.71861 (decimal degrees)
44°42'43" N, 122°43'07" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/522288/4950990 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- Inventory numbers
- OR 12948 (Oregon Dept. of Transportation structure number)
NRHP 79002116 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 30073 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of July 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 75.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- December 28, 2020: New photos from Mike Goff
- November 6, 2020: New photos from Mike Garland
- April 9, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
- March 10, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added NRHP info & imported photos
- April 5, 2010: Updated by Michael Goff: Added bridge history and photos
- Mike Goff - michael [dot] goff [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Historic Highway Bridges of Oregon - Dwight A. Smith, James B. Norman & Pieter T. Dykman, Oregon Historical Society Press, 1989
- Hannah Covered Bridge - Oregon Covered Bridge Guide
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Richard Doody
- Mike Garland - Rapier342 [at] comcast [dot] net