Larwood Covered Bridge
Larwood Covered Bridge
Photo taken by Michael Goff on March 20, 2010
The attractive Larwood Bridge was built to Highway Commission specifications which included a standard 105-foot length, partially exposed trusses, white-wash interior and rounded portals. In 2002, the bridge was temporarily closed to repair the exposed diagonal timbers in the upstream truss. Water and insect damage had weakened the wooden pieces.
The covered span is located three miles north of Lacomb, next to Larwood Wayside Park. Roaring River, which empties into Crabtree Creek near the bridge, is the only river to flow into a creek, an oddity in U. S. geography that was featured in Ripley's Believe It or Not.
The Larwood community was named for William Larwood, who settled on the banks of Crabtree Creek and Roaring River in 1888. He platted the little town, built a store and blacksmith shop, and operated a post office from 1893 to 1903.
A prior covered bridge was built about this time over Crabtree Creek, and for a while, covered bridges spanned Roaring River and Crabtree Creek just a few feet apart. The town and old covered bridges are gone, but the rebuilt water powered mill and the present covered bridge are reminders of the area's previous activities. The adjacent park is frequented by fishermen and swimmers.
(Reference: Roofs Over Rivers, by Bill and Nick Cockrell)
- Covered Howe through truss bridge over Crabtree Creek on Fish Hatchery Road
- Linn County, Oregon
- Open to traffic
- Built 1939; rehabilitated 2003
- Covered Howe through truss
Length of largest span: 105.0 ft.
Total length: 168.0 ft.
Deck width: 19.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 15.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Fish Hatchery Road Bridge
Crabtree Creek Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.63028, -122.74056 (decimal degrees)
44°37'49" N, 122°44'26" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/520579/4941913 (zone/easting/northing)
- USGS topographic map
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 79003733 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
WGCB 37-22-06 (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
OR 12876 (Oregon Dept. of Transportation structure number)
BH 30076 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 11/2011)
- Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 44.2 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- April 26, 2010: New Street View added by Michael Goff
- April 20, 2009: Updated by Michael Goff