Depoe Bay Bridge
This bridge spans "the worlds smallest harbor"
Built in 1927. This photo clearly shows the 1940 addition on the seaward side to increase capacity.
BH Photo #133031
Depoe Bay Bridge History
I found this interesting history of the bridge on the internet.
The Kuckenberg-Wittman Company of Portland built this single span reinforced concrete deck arch at the mouth of Depoe Bay in 1927. Designed by Conde B. McCullough, the structure maintains the beauty of the coastline and conforms with its environment. The Depoe Bay Bridge is an important example of McCullough's engineering and artistic treatment and a familiar Oregon Coast landmark. A stairwell on the bay side and a walkway at the north end of the bridge provide access to Depoe Bay State Park. The bridge is 312 feet in length, and the main span is a 150-foot rib deck arch with an open spandrel. The capacity of the bridge was increased in 1940, when an addition was made on the seaward side of the bridge
- Concrete arch bridge over Depoe Bay on US 101 in Depoe Bay
- Lincoln County, Oregon
- Open to traffic
- Built 1927
- - Conde B. McCullough of Redfield, North Dakota (Bridge Engineer)
- Kuckenberg & Wittman of Portland, Oregon (Contractor)
- Open spandrel deck arch
Length of largest span: 150.0 ft.
Total length: 312.0 ft.
Deck width: 50.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 5, 2005
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.80973, -124.06187 (decimal degrees)
44°48'35" N, 124°03'43" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/416031/4962362 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Depoe Bay
- Inventory numbers
- OR 02459 (Oregon Dept. of Transportation structure number)
NRHP 05000823 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 30062 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 10/2015)
- Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 35.5 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2014)
- March 9, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added NRHP info & imported photos
- January 15, 2013: New photos from Mike Goff
- April 26, 2010: New Street View added by Michael Goff
- August 18, 2009: Updated by Michael Goff: added builders
- August 7, 2009: New photos from Michael Goff
- April 20, 2009: Posted HAER photos
- February 5, 2009: Essay added by Quinn Phelan
- Historic Highway Bridges of Oregon - Dwight A. Smith, James B. Norman & Pieter T. Dykman, Oregon Historical Society Press, 1989
- Quinn Phelan - qphelan [at] earthlink [dot] net
- HAER OR-97 - Depoe Bay Bridge, Spanning Depoe Bay at Oregon Coast Highway (U.S.101), Depoe Bay, Lincoln County, OR
- Mike Goff - michael [dot] goff [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Elegant Arches, Soaring Spans - Robert W. Hadlow, Oregon State University Press, 2001
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com