Wendling Covered Bridge
Photo taken by Michael Goff on July 19, 2009
In the 1890s, George Wendling, director of Booth-Kelly Lumber Company, established a post office in the small town which bears his name.
The Wendling Bridge, built just prior to World War II, appears to be hidden on the winding road northeast of Marcola. Like the nearby Earnest Bridge, the Wendling Bridge showed faded, peeling circus posters pasted on its walls between truss members until time, moisture and visitors removed them.
Lane County spent only $2,241 to build the bridge in 1938. Like many other short span bridges in the county, it used single piece chords for the Howe truss.
(Reference: Roofs Over Rivers, by Bill and Nick Cockrell)
- Covered Howe through truss bridge over Mill Creek on Wendling Road
- Lane County, Oregon
- Open to traffic
- Built 1936
- Covered Howe through truss
Length of largest span: 60.0 ft.
Total length: 85.0 ft.
Deck width: 17.1 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 12.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.19111, -122.79861 (decimal degrees)
44°11'28" N, 122°47'55" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/516094/4893119 (zone/easting/northing)
- USGS topographic map
- Inventory numbers
- WGCB 37-20-36 (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
NRHP 79002095 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
ORNBI 39C174197500357 (Oregon bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 30054 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 08/2010)
- Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 43.2 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- July 20, 2009: New photos from Michael Goff