"The General" Bridge
Bridge being demolished
This is a frame from the movie "The General" showing the moment the bridge was destroyed. It is at 1:05:28 in the YouTube copy of the film.
Frame from movie
View this photo at youtu.be
BH Photo #324654
"The General" starring Buster Keaton, with original piano score
This newer version is reconstructed from the best available copies, paired with the original piano score. "The General" is regarded by famed film critic Roger Ebert as one of the best movies ever made, and this version makes it easy to watch.
YouTube user magiblot1. This movie is in the public domain.
The bridge was part of what was the most expensive shot of the silent film era. The scene cost $42,000 to prepare for in 1926, equivalent to $550,955.53 in today's (2015) money.
It is called "the Rock River bridge" at 33:09 and 57:56 in the movie.
- Lost Timber stringer bridge over Row River on Film Railroad; built to be destroyed.
- Cottage Grove, Lane County, Oregon
- Built & Demolished in July 23, 1926 as part of the filming of the Buster Keaton silent film "The General"
- Timber stringer
- Also called
- Rock River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.79335, -122.98999 (decimal degrees)
43°47'36" N, 122°59'24" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/500805/4848921 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Dorena Lake
- Inventory number
- BH 67586 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 20, 2019: Updated by Roger Deschner: Added alternate bridge name from within movie, "Rock River Bridge".
- March 17, 2019: Updated by Roger Deschner: Replaced old copy pf "The General" removed from YouTube with a good new one.
- May 15, 2015: New video from Roger Deschner
- May 15, 2015: Added by Luke