"The General" Bridge
Bridge being demolished
This is a frame from the movie "The General" showing the moment the bridge was destroyed. It is at 1:08:24 in the YouTube copy of the film.
Frame from "The General" filmed in 1926
View this photo at youtube.com
BH Photo #324654
"The General" movie, starring Buster Keaton
The climactic scene where the bridge is destroyed begins at 1:07:06. However, the whole film is worth watching, regarded as one of the greatest movies ever made.
Video posted by Roger Deschner
Play video on YouTube
The bridge was part of what was the most expensive shot of the silent film era. The scene cost $42,000 to prepare for in 1926, equivalent to $550,955.53 in today's (2015) money.
- Lost Timber stringer bridge over Row River on Film Railroad
- Cottage Grove, Lane County, Oregon
- Built & Demolished in July 23, 1926 as part of the filming of the Buster Keaton silent film "The General"
- Timber stringer
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.79335, -122.98999 (decimal degrees)
43°47'36" N, 122°59'24" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/500805/4848921 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Dorena Lake
- Inventory numer
- BH 67586 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- May 15, 2015: New video from Roger Deschner
- May 15, 2015: Added by Luke