Pengra Covered Bridge 37-20-15
Pengra Covered Bridge
Photo taken by Michael Goff on July 16, 2009
BH Photo #143060
The Pengra Bridge contains two of the longest timbers ever cut for a bridge in Oregon. The timbers for the lower chords, 16" x 18" x 126 feet, were cut by the Booth-Kelly Lumber Company east of Springfield. Since 18" timbers were too large to be run through a mill, they were rough-hewn in the woods, transported to the bridge site by truck and resurfaced before being set into place. The dimensions of the upper chord are similar proportions at 14" x 18" x 96 feet. The use of one-piece chords simplified construction techniques and resulted in a stronger truss, but handling such large timberswas often difficult.
The Pengra Bridge replaced a 192-foot span built in 1904 which had been only a few feet upstream from the present structure. The effect of weather and increased traffic caused the county to close the bridge in 1979. County officials had planned to reopen the structure, but readying a contract for work was delayed for several years. The bridge was repaired and re-opened to traffic by the county in 1995 with the help of a grant from the Oregon Covered Bridge Program.
Pengra was a station on the Cascade Line of the Southern Pacific Railroad and was named for B. J. Pengra, a pioneer who became general surveyor of Oregon in 1862. Pengra had surveyed the route of the Oregon Central Military Road to link the Willamette Valley with the Owyhee mining country of Eastern Oregon. The road was finished to the summit of the Cascades in 1867 but was seldom used. The Pengra Unity Road lies on the old railroad grade and has been renamed Place Road.
(Reference: Roofs Over Rivers, by Bill and Nick Cockrell)
- Covered Howe through truss bridge over Fall Creek on Place Road
- Lane County, Oregon
- Open to traffic
- Built 1938; rehabilitated 1994
- - A.C. Striker (County Bridge Superintendent)
- Covered Howe through truss
Length of largest span: 120.1 ft.
Total length: 268.1 ft.
Deck width: 18.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.5 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.96583, -122.84528 (decimal degrees)
43°57'57" N, 122°50'43" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/512411/4868089 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- Inventory numbers
- WGCB 37-20-15 (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
NRHP 79002092 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 30050 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of October 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 43.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- July 16, 2021: Updated by Mike Goff: Added NBI data, was no longer linking.
- April 15, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
- March 10, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added NRHP date & imported photos
- April 22, 2010: New Street View added by Michael Goff
- July 20, 2009: New photos from Michael Goff
- April 20, 2009: Posted HAER photos