Rating:
No votes cast

Lowell Covered Bridge 37-20-18

Photos 

Lowell Covered Bridge

Photo taken by Michael Goff in July 2011

Enlarge

BH Photo #206680

Map 

Description 

When Amos Hyland settled on the Middle Fork of the Willamette River in 1874, he plotted a small townsite and named it after his birthplace of Lowell, Maine. Hyland operated a ferry across the Willamette near the present site of the Lowell Bridge until Nels Roney built the first bridge at Lowell in 1907. Roney was paid $6,295 for the 210-foot span.

A truck mishap in the old Lowell Bridge in the early 1940s knocked the truss out of alignment. The Roney-built bridge was replaced at a cost of $25,473 in 1945. Two years later it was housed.

In 1953, the whole bridge was raised six feet and the roadway rebuilt in anticipation of the flooding produced by Dexter Dam. The engineers’ estimates were correct, and water has never risen closer than 2 feet from the bottom of the bridge.

Until 1981, some of the heaviest truck traffic in Oregon passed through the Lowell Bridge. It was closed that year when a modern concrete span was built paralleling the old wooden one. Prior to the closure, a dump truck passing through the bridge with its bed raised extensively damaged the span. Lane County replaced broken lateral roof braces and portal boards, only to close the structure several weeks later when it was bypassed.

Western Federal Lands Highway Division, Lane County, Oregon Department of Transportation and the United States Forest Service are entering into an agreement to create an interpretive center for the Lowell Covered Bridge. This project will include restoration and rehabilitation of the bridge, as well as creating a parking area with bathrooms, developing interpretive features and signing. The total cost of the project is expected to be $1.2 million.

(Reference: Roofs Over Rivers, by Bill and Nick Cockrell)

Facts 

Overview
Covered Howe through truss bridge over Dexter Lake/Willamette River on Interpretive Path in Lowell
Location
Lowell, Lane County, Oregon
Status
Open to pedestrians
History
Built in 1945 by John McWade, Raised in 1953 for Dexter Dam Construction,Closed in to vehicle traffic in 1981, Rehabilitated in 2006
Builders
- John McWade (Contractor)
- OBEC Consulting Engineers of Eugene, Oregon (Rehab. Engineers)
Design
Howe through truss
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 165.0 ft.
Total length: 210.0 ft.
Recognition
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 29, 1979
Approximate latitude, longitude
+43.90908, -122.77942   (decimal degrees)
43°54'33" N, 122°46'46" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
10/517712/4861798 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Lowell
Inventory numbers
NRHP 79002085 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 37067 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • April 15, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
  • March 10, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added NRHP info & imported photos
  • August 2, 2011: New photos from Michael Goff
  • April 22, 2010: New Street View added by Michael Goff
  • August 4, 2008: Added by Michael Goff

Related Bridges 

Sources