Photo taken by Michael Goff on July 19, 2009
BH Photo #143107
The bridge and land are in the process of being gifted to Willamalane, the local parks district. All work was paid for by private donations and Willamalane acknowledges the benefits of ownership for trail connectivity, access to the McKenzie and the importance of the history of the bridge to the economic development of the Mohawk Valley, Springfield and Lane County.
- Whipple truss bridge over McKenzie River on Abandoned Weyerhauser Logging Railway in Springfield
- Springfield, Lane County, Oregon
- Bridge was planked and opened in April of 2019.
- Built 1882 in Corrine, Utah; Moved here 1901; Abandoned 1987, Reopened 2019
- - Clarke, Reeves & Co. of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (Fabricator)
- Phoenix Bridge Co. of Phoenixville, Pennsylvania (Fabricator)
- - Oregon & California Railroad (O&C)
- Southern Pacific Railroad (SP)
- Weyerhaeuser Wood Railroad (WTCX)
- The Hayden Bridge is a single span double intersecting Whipple-Pratt truss resting on granite slabs set in concrete abutments. The truss is wrought iron except for the connections and ornamentations, which are cast iron. The span is 224.0 feet long. The outside width is 19.5 feet with an inside horizontal clearance of 18 feet. The inside vertical clearance is 14.0 feet and the outside height is 35.0 feet. The deck is 70.0 feet over the river bed at center.
The Hayden Bridge includes two features that were milestones in the wrought iron period of American bridge building: The Whipple-Murphy truss and the Phoenix column.
(HAER OR-12, Hayden Bridge)
Span length: 224.0 ft.
Total length: 224.0 ft.
Deck width: 14.8 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 19.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- McKenzie River Railroad Bridge
SP - McKenzie River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.07194, -122.96417 (decimal degrees)
44°04'19" N, 122°57'51" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/502869/4879864 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Land survey
- T. 17 S., R. 2 W., Sec. 20
- 459.0 ft. above sea level
- Inventory number
- BH 43046 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 15, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
- April 9, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
- February 20, 2018: Updated by Julie Bowers: JB updated for current information.
- February 10, 2017: New photos from Mike Garland
- January 22, 2017: Updated by Dana and Kay Klein: Added categories "Othmar H. Ammann Nominee", "Othmar H Ammann Award winner"
- June 8, 2016: Updated by Julie Bowers: Bridge has been saved.
- March 23, 2011: New photos from Michael Goff
- April 22, 2010: New Street View added by Michael Goff
- October 11, 2009: Updated by Anthony Dillon: changed truss type
- July 21, 2009: Added by Michael Goff
- Mike Goff - michael [dot] goff [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- HAER OR-19 - Hayden Bridge, Spanning McKenzie River at Southern Pacific Railroad (moved from Springfield, Lake County, OR), Springfield, Lane, OR
- Julie Bowers - jbowerz1 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Mike Garland - Rapier342 [at] comcast [dot] net
- Richard Doody