Nelson Mountain Covered Bridge 37-20-06
Nelson Mountain Covered Bridge
Photo taken by Michael Goff on March 27, 2010
BH Photo #162335
The Lake Creek Bridge, or Nelson Creek Bridge as some call it, was built in 1928 for the modest price of $3,155. The single piece chords measure 14" x 14" x 111 feet for lower timbers and 12" x 12" x 79 feet for the upper chords.
During the summer of 1984, the Lake Creek structure received a major overhaul. After adding a new center pier, contractors replaced the wooden flooring with pre-cast concrete slab decking. Because the concrete flooring and center pier do not support the trusses, the intricate job of installing them required use of a crane to slide them into place.
Wooden abutments and wooden trestle approaches were also replaced with reinforced concrete materials. Portal boards on both ends were replaced in the late 1970s after they had been broken by the high loads of log trucks. A new coat of white paint was added to the structure after the reconstruction project was completed.
(Reference: Roofs Over Rivers, by Bill and Nick Cockrell)
- Covered Howe through truss bridge over Lake Creek on Nelson Mountain Road
- Lane County, Oregon
- Open to traffic
- Built 1928; rehabilitated 1984
- The Nelson Mountain Covered Bridge is a unique adaptation of a housed truss bridge. The original 105-foot covered timber Howe truss was built at this location in 1928. The bridge featured timber string approach spans and a timber deck throughout.
In 1984 the bridge was in need of rehabilitation. The timber deck and approach spans were removed and replaced with pre-stressed reinforced concrete slabs. However, the original covered truss remained in place. This in turn makes the bridge a simple pre-stressed concrete slab bridge in function, but a covered timber Howe truss in form.
Length of largest span: 52.2 ft.
Total length: 155.8 ft.
Deck width: 13.8 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.1 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 29, 1979
- Also called
- Lake Creek Covered Bridge
Nelson Mountain Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.10417, -123.67361 (decimal degrees)
44°06'15" N, 123°40'25" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/446088/4883663 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- Inventory numbers
- ORNBI 39C386367000008 (Oregon bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
NRHP 79002091 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 44860 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of September 2015)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 72.7 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- April 15, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
- March 10, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added NRHP info, street view & imported photo
- April 13, 2010: Added by Michael Goff